On 27 November 1920 the City of Dublin Steam Packet's Ulster sailed from Kingstown (Dun Laoghaire) with the mail for the last time, and the Munster from Holyhead. For seventy years the Irish company had the honour of holding the mail contract but now, having suffered badly through losses sustained during the war, the contract passed to the London & North Western Railway and on the following day the first of their four new mail steamers, the Anglia, sailed from Holyhead with the mail.
A speed of 25 knots put them among some of the fastest cross-Channel steamers in the world at that time and indeed the Scotia, which achieved a speed of 25.12 knots on trials, was said to be the fastest commercial steamer ever built by Denny Bros. They were superb looking ships, so much thought going into them that the fore funnel was slightly small in girth than the aft funnel; this giving the impression of funnels of equal size when viewed head on.
On 1 January 1923 the LNWR was absorbed by the London Midland & Scottish Railway. With traffic down, due in no small part to the political situation in Ireland, cutbacks were quickly made. The Day Express ceased and with no justification for four front line ships the Anglia was withdrawn.
The three remaining steamers received major refits during the 1930's. Most notably the forward end of their Promenade decks were enclosed and the cowls were removed from their funnels.
Surviving World War II the Cambria received the suffix II to release her name for one of the new ships building at Belfast's Harland & Wolff. Released by the new motor vessel the 1920-stalwart was sold for breaking-up.