Earl Godwin

Built in 1966 for Rederi AB Svea as the Svea Drott, this handsome ferry entered service on the Helsingborg-Travemünde crossing. In 1974, she was bareboat chartered to Rederi AB Gotland for service between Visby and Oskarshamn. A boiler failure in British Rail's aging Channel Islands ferry Falaise saw the Svea Drott's debut on the English Channel, in September 1974, on sub-charter for the Weymouth-Channel Islands services.

As she was when she came to Holyhead for conversion - the Svea Drott. © Howard Onions

As she was when she came to Holyhead for conversion - the Svea Drott. © Howard Onions

1/1

On completion of the charter the ship retured to Helsingborg, Sweden, in October.  Such was her success on the Channel however that in November she was purchased by Lloyd's Leasing Ltd, London and chartered to British Rail. Following a major refit at Holyhead, the ship entered service on the Channel Islands routes in 1975 as the Earl Godwin.

Completing her refit in Holyhead's drydock, the newly named Earl Godwin. © Ronnie Roberts.

Completing her refit in Holyhead's drydock, the newly named Earl Godwin. © Ronnie Roberts.

1/1
Earl Godwin

Built:

 

IMO No.

Deadweight

Draught:

Class:

LOA:

Beam:

Depth:

Capacity:



Access:

1966, AB Öresundvarvet Landskrona, Sweden

6606026

1064 tonnes

4.0 metres

Lloyds Register +100A1

99.5 metres

18.29 metres

5.67 metres

1000 passengers

160 cars

Bow and stern

img141.jpg
1/1